Skip Lists?!

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 03:22:07 UTC 2001

Folks,

I noticed them coming into Squeak a while ago and always since I wanted to
ask this question: What the heck are they good for?! ;-) I don't see them
used anywhere and I've never heard of 'em before (yeah, well, my
introductory courses in algorithms and data structures were plenty of years
back ;-) but somebody found them important enough to write and include them.
Since I like data structures (in particular efficient ones) I'd like to hear
more about the places in which SkipLists could and should be used instead of
other approaches. Pointers to comparisons would be nice, examples in Squeak
even nicer ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas