Zurgle Project Update

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 05:54:59 UTC 2001

Jim,

> > There way only three things that I found a bit annoying:
>
> Sounds like I'm getting out of this easy.

Well, it's getting there.

[Re: Window title bar height]
> This is adjustable, somewhat. The way this is *supposed* to
> work (grin) is that the theme designer specifies what type
> of font and the font size that is used with window, e.g.
> CypressFont size 15 bold.

Makes sense although I find it a good idea to prepare for variable sizes
from the beginning - some people have better eyes than others and the
designer will have a hard time to match both with a "one size fits all"
approach. Personally, I found the title bar just too big in general and
would've preferred a smaller one. Others surely will like the larger one (in
particular if you're on an iBook in 1024x768 ;-)

[Re: Corner rounding]
> Blame those people at Microsoft !!!

Hey, what do you care about Microsoft? Make it look great and we'll just put
'em out of business (heh, heh ;-)

[Re: Menu bar]
> I'll give you a metaphor. You like a
> clean sheet of paper, as most artists do. You can do anything
> that you want on that paper, no constraints. Others like to
> draw by the numbers, they need something to get them started.
> They are intimidated by the clean sheet of paper, after
> all, *anything* can go there. That's kind of what the menu
> bar is for.

I entirely agree. But I was seriously *shocked* about how much it affected
my view on Squeak. In the blink of an eye it transformed Squeak from a
creative tool into a straitjacket.

[Re: Story]
> Here's a true story:

Heh, heh. That's a great one - thanks for the good laugh ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas