Zurgle Project Update

Steve Swerling sps2000 at mail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:02:59 UTC 2001

> * Get rid of that menu bar!!! (or at least make it a pop-out thingy) It was
> truly amazing to me how the mere presence of the menu bar almost immediately
> took me out of the constructive feel of plain sheet of paper and back into
> the conservative WIMP style (perhaps that's intended?! ;-)

You say toemaytoe, I say tamata... Having the MenuBarMorph at the top of
the world adheres to what Don Norman calls "visibility" in "The
Psychology of Everyday Things". I quite like it, enough so that I made a
subclass of PasteUpMorph so that the MenuBarMorph materializes at the
top of every project as it is entered (then disappears when the project
is left and before image saves). So nice to have that sweet baby in my
image! I added a little panel to the menubar with buttons for very
common operations that I need (open 3 browsers, open a workspace, etc).
One of the buttons shows the current changeset, click on it to get a
dual change sorter.  I've got about half a dozen changesets that I'm
working on at any given time, so being able to see with a glance which
one is active is very useful for me.