Localization (was: RE: Computerchannel.de: Squeak 3.0 tested)

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 27 08:24:32 UTC 2001

Cees wrote:
> They're talking about kids here, and I can assure
> you that the average kid's English outside the US
> or UK is by far not enough to use Squeak.

Yes, and unfortunately, 3.0 doesn't include any of the cool stuff that we've
just started to do for eToy localization. If you're on the latest 3.1 then
do the following:
* open a viewer (you don't have to but its much more impressive)
* go into the world's help menu and choose "set language"

BTW, when giving demos I found that some (adult) people in Germany didn't
respond to an English to German switch as I had expected. I then changed the
demo to start with Kiswahili viewers and going from there to German turned
out to do the trick and help them understand what kids *see* when they look
at a foreign language ;-)

If you're interested in localizing the eToy system then have a look at
#addKiswahiliVocabulary and #addGermanVocabulary. It's very simple and it
would be nice to get some more languages into (at least) the eToy system.

Cheers,
  - Andreas