Relative Morph Y Coordinates ("Insight" project)

Thomas Kuehne kuehne at informatik.uni-kl.de
Thu Sep 27 20:27:50 UTC 2001

Hi,

I published a small etoys project "Insight" at Bob's Super Swiki which -- I hope -- takes you through a few "Aha" steps to finally appreciate that width of vision is important to correctly understand phenomena.

Hope it works (both content-wise and technically) for you.

When loaded it back in again it did not work as expected since the Squeak Plugin had a different extent.

I found out that a morph's y coordinates are dependent on the vertical extent of the squeak window. Watch the y-coordinate of a morph, resize the window and see it update accordingly. Note that the x-coordinate is not influenced by the horizontal extent!

I do not think that absolute coordinates should be dependent on the squeak window size and suggest to have the same behaviour for y coordinates as for x coordinates.

At least, the current behaviour bit me as my "reset" button puts some shapes at certain positions. I solved the problem by making their positions relative to a non-moving morph in my project. If the window is resized (or has another extent than my development image) than the y coordinate of that fixed morph changes and thus the positions of the other shapes as it is calculated relative to the fixed morph.

Perhaps there is a better way, but nevertheless I think that absolute y coordinates should not depend on window extent (although I can imagine why it is that way at the moment).

BTW, I tried to achieve a similar effect by modifying the height of a rectangle (instead of moving the rectangle) but that works only one direction. If I turn a rectangle by 180 degrees first and then try to alter its height (to obtain the shrinking in the other direction) then that does not work. Perhaps it is because the morph is now a rotated bitmap, but in any event it is unfortunate.

Cheers,

    Thomas

P.S.: I'll be on a conference trip until October 15th so I probably won't be able to respond in a timely manner until then.

--
Dr. Thomas Kuehne
+49 178 4314387, http://www-agce.informatik.uni-kl.de/~kuehne