[ENH] International characters in code (was RE: Localization in code)

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Sat Sep 29 21:37:37 UTC 2001

Raymond,

> >Some time ago I did an experiment along the
> >lines of changing some magic definitions (both in
> >Character and in Scanner) to allow for all
> > of umlauts diacritics etc. It's *really* simple ... and it
> > works too ;-)
> >
> > [BTW, if you're interested I think I can still dig out the code]
>
> Andreas I'm not an expert yet in Squeak but if this is not
> too much work for you, I will appreciate this code even if
> it was to begin to understand what are the issues.

See attached code. It basically introduces a character classification table
that defines for each character whether it's a (lower or upper case) letter
plus the appropriate corresponding character (since they're spread out over
many places). Here are a few things that now work (based on German since
that's my native language ;-)

	$Ü isLetter => true
	$Ü isUppercase => true
	$Ü asLowercase => $ü

etc. etc. etc. See Character>>initializeClassificationTable. BTW, I might
have gotten a few things wrong so fixes are appreciated. And with these
changes the system will gladly accept those characters wherever you'd like
to use them in your code. And it fixes the annoying selection issue that you
noticed.

Cheers,
  - Andreas