Skip List in #4308

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 30 18:24:36 UTC 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> "Randal L. Schwartz" wrote:
> >
> > Skip lists got snuck in with changeset 4308 with *no documentation*
> > except the source code.  Not even a class comment!
> >
> > Can SqueakCentral at least set the bar high enough that *new* classes
> > into the core will not be accepted without at least having a class
> > comment?  Please?
> >
> > Especially something that is in the Collections category!
>
> This came up just a few day ago.

Can you include attributation next time you include another message?

Ideally, skiplists should just be something else that has the same
interface as SortedCollection and a reference to the skiplist paper.

I may get to that point in a while, I'm going to need to do a lot of
prefix-matching to lists that are constantly changing; the easiest
way to do that is to store the list in sorted order. Search, then do a
prefix-match on the Next() item.

> Someone who understand it could make a comment enhancement:-)

Or someone could cut&paste the comment. :)  Or better yet, integrate them
so that they can drop-in replace SortedCollection.  *hint hint*

Scott