Fixed limits in the image. (was Re: ...)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Mon Apr 1 03:26:39 UTC 2002

Hi Scott, Hi John, Hi Dan,

	Sorry, I couldn't get back to you all sooner. I have been a bit
busy putting a final touch on my 'double clickable FreeCell.st'. More
details in another message, though.

	Thanks for your enlightments. At John's suggestion and to give
Scott a toy to play in his optimisation effort, I made it configurable
from the initialisation file 'SqM.ini' the following parameters:

(lines with ';;' at the front are commented out).

[TuningParams]
;;  Was 4097 Now Default: 8192
;; _EXTERNAL_PRIMITIVE_TABLE_SIZE_   = 16384

;;  Was 501 Now Default: 1024
;; _SEMAPHORES_TO_SIGNAL_SIZE_       = 512

;;  Was 4097 Now Default: 8192
_METHOD_CACHE_SIZE_               = 16384

;;  Was 65 Now Default: 128
;; _AT_CACHE_SIZE_                   = 35

;;  Was 26 Now Default: 64
;; _REMAP_BUFFER_SIZE_               = 16

;;  Was 2501 Now Default: 4096
;; _ROOT_TABLE_SIZE_                 = 4096

It was found that the VM will crash at different places as
_AT_CACHE_SIZE_ is reduced.

Higher _METHOD_CACHE_SIZE_ and lower _AT_CACHE_SIZE_ tend to crash the
VM.

This doesn't seem to enforce Dan's statement:

> > int atCache[65];

> Well, I just thought about what it was doing and guessed at what it
would take.
> You could try doubling it and halving it. I think it will provide most
of its
> benefit with only one entry.

Did I misunderstand this statement ?

I will leave it as an exercise for those who will take a trip in the
SqueakMobile to implement some primitives to modify these parameters to
'change the flat tires and clean the spark plugs' while zooming back to
the future. ;-)

Cheers,

PhiHo.