One more gripe/question

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Mon Apr 1 09:15:51 UTC 2002

The "scripting area" is a bit of a relic from the early days of
Etoys.  As such, it hardly deserves much mindshare, and the only
reason why we continue to make it available is because of its ability
to support localized stop-step-go-button complexes -- see item c
below.

Aiming at quite young children, we were attempting to streamline
several important steps in the etoy construction process, and some of
those configuration choices are still embodied in the "scripting
areas," including:

(a)  After the user finishes painting a new object in the pale-green
playfield, its Viewer is automatically put up.  (Initiate such a
painting by grabbing a paint-palette-icon from the Supplies flap and
dropping it over the pale-green playfield.)

(b)  When the mouse moves over an object on that playfield, halos are
automatically put up for it.

(c)  Its stop/step/go buttons govern only the running of scripts
belonging to objects within the scripting area.

(d)  It comes ready-made with a trash-can.

(e)  Viewers appear at the right edge of the scripting area, rather
than at the right edge of the screen.

If you had for example two or more different simulations that you
wanted independent control over on the same screen (e.g. sometimes
running only one, sometimes another one, sometimes both concurrently,
sometimes neither,) you could organize each of them into a separate
scripting area;  you could then control the stop-step-go status of
each of them separately.  And you could move entire simulations
around on the screen, and store each of them in a file independently
of the others at a granularity finer than a Project.

Unless you have a particular need for multiple independent
stop/step/go domains (an effect that would be quite tricky to obtain
otherwise,) I think you'd be wise to follow Ned's advice and just go
with exploring scripting in a vanilla morphic project.

Hope this helps,

   -- Scott

PS:  Nobody ever expected that the early scripting work (and it's
*all* still "early") would be self-explanatory.  Users need to be
"scaffolded" -- by sitting on a parent's lap, or learning it as part
of a school curriculum, or learning it from another child who already
knows it; and in any case, examples and tutorials are assumed to be
essential pieces of the process.  Check out the Squeakland site for
at least some taste of this kind of material.