No Background?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Apr 1 22:03:41 UTC 2002

On Monday 01 April 2002 01:11 pm, Jon Hylands wrote:

> I'm pretty certain someone posted a change set back in late 2000/early
> 2001 that did just that -- it turned the background transparent,
> so Squeak windows (morphs) show up looking like they are OS windows.
> They don't show up in the task list of course, but you can see and
> manipulate stuff behind the windows...

Yes, Wiebe Baron on 20 Feb 01 posted some changes that worked in Win2K.
He used FFI to talk to the Win32 API, making the desktop transparent (and
letting the OS handle its transparency). I guess the windowing system has to
know about layered, transparent window areas; apparently Win2K does.

 He said:

These attachments do something like that ;-)

Win32SqueakMorph                simple version for 2.8 & 3.0
Win32SqueakNavMorph     Modified ProjectNavigationMorph for 3.0 only

They allow squeak windows and morphs on the desktop, seemlessly (eh...)
integrated with M$'s windows.

Several points:
- This only works with Windows 2000.
- This will bring your PC to it's knees (there is a better VM solution)...
- Mouse & painting redirection is not needed, events are automatically
passed through trasparent sections to the desktop :-)
- Squeak's display mode should be set to 8 or 16 bits, 32 doesn't seem to
work...

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA