Self in C++ (was: Apple hyping java...)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 2 00:18:33 UTC 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> On Sunday 31 March 2002 23:40, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> > But we really have to just disagree, or launch the experiement. I
> > will point to the fact that Smalltalk has been used for *very* large
> > systems (easily the size you describe), including every Smalltalk
> > system. Self's dynamic profiler/optimizer was written in Self.
>
> Actually, the whole Self virtual machine including the two compilers is
> written in C++ (the sources are available to anyone who isn't scare of
> 80kloc in that ugly language ;-).

D'oh! I grovel. I think I confused the Smalltalk in Self with Self itself.

> This was a mistake,

Heh. Indeed.

> which Squeak fixed with the Slang thing. But full
> Smalltalk (or Self) is a much better choice for writing compilers.

I still, personally, wouldn't want to port GCC to Smalltalk, but that's
*just* me. I wouldn't want to port it to Java, either. Hell, I don't even
want to *run* it, or even have it on my hard disk, or GOD JUST KNOWING
ABOUT IT IS CAUSING MY EYEBALLS TO EXPLODE!!!!

Ahem.

I trust the spectacle I just made of myself has distracted everyone from
the fact that I was in grotesque error.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.