[Q] Squeak as IR Remote Control, was: Re: Lego Mindstorm and Squeak

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed Apr 3 13:04:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:54:20PM +0100, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:
> I've been looking at various approaches to using Squeak to send Consumer
> infrared remote control signals.
>
> I've been looking at LIRC and at various places around the web but haven't
> found anything that seems easy to adopt. I am specifically looking for an
> iPaq solution, but a cross-platform approach would be desirable.
>
> Has anybody done anything with Squeak in this area? I know the Mindstorm kit
> uses consumer IR.

Well, I wrote an Squeak-based driver for X10 wireless remotes...that's
not IR though, it's RF.  And actually, the only thing I had to worry about
was serial communications in the end. :)

> My guess is that it isn't too hard to code, if one only knows what one's
> doing (and I don't). A Slang primitive for sending the signals, and then the
> rest in ordinary Smalltalk. The problem with the primitive seems to be
> getting the timing right.
>
> Henrik

Oh, I see...you're going in the opposite direction I am. :) My driver
is for receiving signals (controlling Squeak via remote)...yours would be
for sending IR signals, correct?

I had considered a 'quick and dirty' way of doing this on my iPaq via Squeak
at one time.  If you're in Linux-land, there are a bunch of command-line
tools for manipulating the IR port...conceivably you could hack something
together with OSProcess to do it.  Of course, that's not nearly as portable
as a primitive.