Writing games in Squeak Re: Smalltalk Solutions

David Farber dfarber at numenor.com
Wed Apr 3 19:08:08 UTC 2002

I was recently introduced to Snood (http://www.snood.com), a simple little
game that is quite addictive. It struck me that it would easy to code up in
Squeak, but currently takes quite a bit more effort to package up properly.
If we could make it easier to package, and maybe publish a few of the
already existing games in Squeak as standalone apps, that could only help
extend Squeak's community and influence.

The biggest single problem that I see is the inability to control the
Squeak OS window from inside the image. For most games, you want the OS
window to open in a given size and be non-resizeable. If the OS window
could take its cue (size, horizontally resizeable, vertically resizable)
from (say) the properties of the current project, then I think you could
deploy FreeCell to an end user the app would behave just like any other
application they have.

david

At 09:06 AM 4/3/02 -0800, Dan Ingalls wrote:
[snip]
>In addition to Michael's talk, Anthony Lander will be presenting -- he's
done some quite neat stuff with Wilf Lalonde, running an
ultra-stripped-down image for video games, where the image doesn't have
e.g. a browser, but you can browse it from an outside image and just call
the Squeak primitives as C calls to get the information you need to browse,
debug, inspect, etc.  Also John McIntosh will be talking on garbage
collection.  While I'm not sure what Maurice Rabb has been up to recently,
I notice he's going to be there, too.

--
David Farber
dfarber at numenor.com