[Q][VM][ENH][RFH][COMP] Request For Help : CompilerPlugin

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Wed Apr 3 23:48:16 UTC 2002

Hi Henrik,

> Why don't you just throw it at the Squeak compiler in Squeak instead?

	Yes, we can if we already have an image ;-)

	Double clickable FreeCell start with a super-ultra shrinked
image, the size is zero ;-)

	That's why SqM needs a CompilerPlugin to start with. The
CompilerPlugin serves two purposes.

	The first and crucial one is to exist before there is an image
to create an image (via the Compiled Methods ?) for FreeCell with just
enough objects to run FreeCell, no more, no less.

	Secondly, a plugin compiler is certainly much faster than one
run inside the image. We really need the speed now since we create the
image on the fly as frequently as needed.

	It is obvious that now images are no longer pre-built with every
kitchen sink we can lay our hands on. ;-)

	Every single image is custom built for the task at hand (mainly
playing FreeCell ;-), gone when the task is done. (game over ;-)

	However, there is nothing to prevent one to start a full Squeak
IDE with all the tools as we now have in the JumboHolyImage and
serialize it as a clasical image.

> I mean, what ya' gonna do with the bytecodes anyway, you'll need an
image to run them, right?

	Actually, I think we do not need an image to run the bytecode.
We need an ObjectMemory to load and 'link' the objects (bytecode). The
(bytecode) InterpreterPlugin will 'run' them with the help of all
numbered primitives in the PrimitivesPlugin and other named primitives
in the regular plugins. Did I miss anything ?

	Cheers,

	PhiHo.