Apple hyping java...

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Apr 4 07:15:42 UTC 2002

David Chase <chase at world.std.com> wrote:
	Just for example -- I wouldn't write a compiler in Squeak.

Whyever not?

Surely it depends on
 - the complexity of the source language
 - the kinds of data structure the sources will manipulate
 - the kinds of optimisations that are to be done
 - the level of performance that is required
 - the level of platform-independence that is required

The fanciest Scheme compiler I know is written in Scheme, and
there isn't anything it does that Squeak couldn't do.
For a functional language, I'd just as soon write the
deforestation pass in Squeak as anything else.

Given the OSProcess stuff, writing the front end of a compiler in
Squeak and firing up a C compiler to finish the job actually sounds
like quite a good way to write a compiler.

If Scamper is ever going to be security-bug-compatible with major
browsers, we're going to need a Javascript compiler in Squeak, no? (:-)