HV intro (was Re: Squeak SSP-- huh?)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Apr 4 15:48:27 UTC 2002

> As in SSP one method normally maps to one url and it normally
> builds one page. The method sits in a subclass of HVHttpView
> (which means it has inherited the #builder method etc.).

Using a single SSP method to build an entire page is not a good idea.
Generally speaking, you should only be creating HTML that is appropriate
for the reciever (in much the same way that you would do with a
#printOn: method).  This way, you get the benefits of polymorphism.

Also, SSP is not an HTML building solution, it's only a text streaming
solution.  In Swiki.net we have a whole hierarchy of "web thingies" that
correspond to widgets (i.e a small icon link, large icon link, rollover
button, etc).  Each web thingie spits out a little chunk of HTML,
usually using SSP.  In this regard, web thingies seem to be similar in
concept to HV.

- Stephen