HV intro (was Re: Squeak SSP-- huh?)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 4 22:27:40 UTC 2002

Nevin Pratt <nevin at smalltalkpro.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I agree with Tim, simply because he added the qualifier "as much as
> possible" (whatever that means) :-)
Mostly it means wanting to see the very best system available to me as a user
of it. Competition is very good for making people work to improve their code
etc, but collaboration can often be useful to improve the whole system.
Collaboration also works well when people don't have a consistent amount of
effort available - when several people are working together there is some
chance of continuous progress, or at least continuous thought. It also tends to
produce at least some semblance of documentation since things have to be
explained to workmates.

tim

Breakthrough: It finally booted on the first try.