[SqF]Report of VM Construction Project for Apr '02

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 6 00:51:35 UTC 2002

Second report, Fri 5th April 2002

As of this writing, VMMaker is now up to version 6 and is available at http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/VMMaker-3-2-version6.1.cs
though in general you should look at
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas and grab the
latest version. A description of the new
capabilities is included in the file.

Some full and frank discussions on the use, purpose, structure and
implementation of VMMaker have been held. Some of the participants have even
regrown their eyebrows subsequently. I think that some general consensus
was reached by the end. We shall see.

The SourceForge archive has been kept reasonably clean and upto date
since the first report and to the best of my ability to tell it is quite
possible to
fetch the code tree, run VMMaker and generate a good working vm for most
platforms. The win32 build is a possible exception - I am unable to tell
since I lack any windows machine to test upon at the moment.

The latest interesting proposal is to change the way plugins are
generated so that the sourcecode is the same whether they are intended
for internal or
external linking. This seems to be practical and the current suggestion
looks like it might improve 'security' somewhat as well. No
implementation has
yet been offered.

There has been no further progress in integrating SqCVS since SqCVS
still lacks some important capabilities. Berate Goran to trigger progress.

tim, ChairSophont, VM construction project
C'est la vie-emm.