Mac VM 3.2.X

Alain Fischer alain.fischer at bluewin.ch
Sat Apr 6 19:34:17 UTC 2002

Some propositions of enhancement for the Carbon Mac VM 3.2.X

1) VM version

The VM version returned by "Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1004" or
written in SqueakDebug.log is not up-to-date:
('Squeak3.1alpha of 7 March 2001 [latest update: #4347]').
Perhaps we can use the function CFBundleGetValueForInfoDictionaryKey
with one of the following key: CFBundleGetInfoString,
CFBundleShortVersionString
or CFBundleVersion for the main bundle.

2) Embeding in the resource bundle.

It could be fine if squeak.image is searched first in the resource path
of the bundle
with the function CFBundleCopyRessourceURL.
The candidates files that could be included in resource could be:
Squeak.image
Squeak.changes (only for development)
SqueakV3.sources (only for development)
mpeg3Plugin.bundle
SqueakFFIPrims.bundle
Like that we could have a one file Squeak application .

3) headless squeak

There seem that the Mac VM has no headless mode. This could be usefull
for
Squeak server applications like Swiki or Seaside. If we have this
possibility,
we could start Squeak with a script in /library/StartupItems.

How many of you are interested in these changes ?