Notes from a Newbie

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Mon Apr 8 21:40:11 UTC 2002

Hi Charles,

Sorry for responding late but something got my attention in this thread
and so I reviewed it and found an interesting observation in your
original post.

> The Squeak 3.0 greeting screen is pretty, but doesn't give a
> newcomer much idea of where to go and what to do.  Squeak 2.5
> was much better.

It's interesting that you say that. I actually went back and compared
the 2.5 and 3.0 startup screen without finding much of a difference.
Both of them have a "Welcome To" window (with pretty much the same
stuff) both have a "Getting started" window (again with pretty much the
same stuff) and both have a couple of demo projects (with 3.0 having
even more stuff in there). So what exactly is it that you find better in
2.5 than in 3.0 (this is not a rhetorical question - I'm really
interested in finding out what you liked better in 2.5)?

> Morphic is worth being proud of, but either the tutorials
> need to reflect it, or, possibly better, the initial screen
> should look more like that of Squeak 2.5, and the "World of
> Squeak" should be first called from a workspace window, and
> later a part of the introductions should tell how to set it
> as the default first screen.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Can you give an example of
"calling 'Welcome to Squeak' from a workspace window" and what exactly
people should do in order to get it as the default first screen?!

> This would give people a workable intro without reducing the
> power or convenience.  (If I hadn't previously briefly looked
> at Squeak 2.5 I'd really have been lost.)

Again, can you say a bit about where exactly you would've been lost?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas