I need a standard single line text entry widget

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Apr 9 22:50:27 UTC 2002

Ken Causey wrote:

> I'm finding it hard to believe but I can't seem to find what I consider
> to be a standard single-line text entry widget as it exists in most
> widget sets.

Well, part of the problem may be that Morphic isn't too much like most widget sets. :-)  It contains a lot of examples and useful items, but it is missing a few "standard" items like a single-line text entry field and a pull-down combo box widget.

> Attributes includes:
>
> Text is confined to a single line and widget does not change size as a
> result of text entry.
>
> If text continues beyond the boundary of the widget the text "scrolls"
> within the widget.  This scrolling follows the text entry marker.
>
> There may be other attributes I'm not thinking of right now but those
> two, particularly the second seem to be difficult to come up with.  What
> am I overlooking?

The first attribute should be easy, I think the entry field in BobsUI handles that by default.  (Or you can do a little extra hacking like Ned mentioned to do this.)

The second is a little trickier, but should be doable for an experienced hacker.  Hopefully someone will get around to creating one of these widgets soon, so it can be added to the stable of widgets.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com