I need a standard single line text entry widget

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Apr 10 00:19:10 UTC 2002

Ken Causey <ken at ineffable.com> wrote:
	I'm finding it hard to believe but I can't seem to find what I consider
	to be a standard single-line text entry widget as it exists in most
	widget sets.

Speaking as a computer _user_, I have always found those things to
be _extremely_ annoying to use.

	Text is confined to a single line and widget does not change size as a
	result of text entry.

That is to say, the computer goes out of its way to imitate the
behaviour of an inadequately sized box on a paper form.

Fixed size boxes on paper forms are seldom the right size, and the
annoyance is tolerated only because a paper form _can't_ change size.

Given that we _can_ provide something better, why should we go out of
our way to do worse than we can?