I need a standard single line text entry widget

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Apr 10 01:11:09 UTC 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:19:10 +1200 (NZST) "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>Ken Causey <ken at ineffable.com> wrote:
>	I'm finding it hard to believe but I can't seem to find what I consider
>	to be a standard single-line text entry widget as it exists in most
>	widget sets.
>
>Speaking as a computer _user_, I have always found those things to
>be _extremely_ annoying to use.

Me, too. That's (one) reason BobsUI doesn't have one.

I prefer either

(1) - scrollable areas that will show all you care to type
(2) - fixed-sized one-liners that show their entire contents

Other permutations seem more an exercise in "Gee, look what I made the computer do!" rather than something the user will really appreciate.

Cheers,
Bob