Problem and Congratulations

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Apr 10 21:54:32 UTC 2002

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 April 2002 01:44 pm, Charles Hixson wrote:
>
> > Request:  How do I break a Squeak program caught in this kind of
> > loop? In this case killing the program didn't cause me any harm,
> > but in other cases ....
>
> Did Alt-. work at all?
>
> I've wanted to have a way to break into the Emergency Evaluator from
> time to time; I've thought that I could make Shift-Alt-. do this. Of
> course, then you need good things you can say to the Emergency
> Evaluator.

That would be nice to have shift-alt-. or some other key combination bring up the emergency evaluator.  (Doesn't VisualWorks support something like this?)

One extra "good thing" you could do in the Emergency Evaluator in these situations might be to start up the CPUWatcher (a.k.a. PigWatcher).  This could be useful if you have a higher-priority-than-UI process running amok, in which case alt-. doesn't help you.  (I assume the shift-alt-. would be detected at a higher level than UI processes.)  You could even have a special keyword (like "revert" currently is) in the emergency evaluator for this.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com