[ENH] Making Squeak use the Unix clipboard properly

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Fri Apr 12 17:17:40 UTC 2002

Ned Konz wrote:

>On Thursday 11 April 2002 02:46 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
>>
>>>Bert suggested making clipboard text *from* Squeak be available
>>>as both PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD, and copying only the PRIMARY *to*
>>>Squeak.
>>>
>>>Since this seemed reasonable to me, I did it.
>>>
>>Great! I committed that to SF.
>>
><..munch..>
>
>I could see making a commandline switch to specify which selection is
>preferred; in my system there is little use for PRIMARY any more.
>
>Interestingly, in the Konsole terminal program, it seems to do an
>automatic copy to CLIPBOARD when you make a selection. Though this is
>ugly, it works with the rest of KDE/Qt3.0.

My vote is to complete ditch PRIMARY and pretend it doesn't exist, and
to always use CLIPBOARD for everything.  Or, at the very least, favor
CLIPBOARD over PRIMARY (copy into both, paste from the one that has
data-- if both contain data, paste from CLIPBOARD).

No solution is without it's problems, but I'm inclined to think this is
the least problematic overall (best interoperability with other apps
overall).

Because of this COPY/PASTE nonsense (not just with Squeak) I find myself
sometimes pasting into an intermediate app just so I can copy from it to
paste it into my final target.  Copy/Paste/Copy/Paste when just a single
Copy/Paste should have been sufficient.  I always wondered why I needed
to do that-- now I know.  Phewey.

Nevin