[ENH] Making Squeak use the Unix clipboard properly

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Apr 12 22:01:33 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Thursday 11 April 2002 02:46 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
> > > Bert suggested making clipboard text *from* Squeak be available
> > > as both PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD, and copying only the PRIMARY *to*
> > > Squeak.
> > >
> > > Since this seemed reasonable to me, I did it.
> >
> > Great! I committed that to SF.
>
> Unfortunately, it still doesn't do the right thing. Perhaps others
> have an idea.

Drat!

> The problem is that it is possible to put something in the CLIPBOARD
> that was never in PRIMARY. For instance, I can right-button your name
> in my mail reader and choose "copy to clipboard". Or I can copy a URL
> from my browser. In neither case does PRIMARY get touched; only
> CLIPBOARD gets set.
>
> Alas, unless Squeak owned the CLIPBOARD selection, it never gets
> notified that the selection there has changed (and that happens only
> indirectly through a SelectionClear event).
>
> Likewise, we can't tell how fresh the selections are. We can query for
> owners of the CLIPBOARD and/or PRIMARY, but then we'd have to prefer
> one over the other (perhaps CLIPBOARD) if they were both set. The
> problem with this is that if you had a prior CLIPBOARD set from
> another app that wasn't from a selection you'd always get it until
> you copied from Squeak.
>
> Or we could get both selections, compare them, and append them if they
> weren't the same (but this could be a mess).
>
> I could see making a commandline switch to specify which selection is
> preferred; in my system there is little use for PRIMARY any more.

I wish there was another way, but this seems to be the only practical
solution.

Does anybody know if making CLIPBOARD be the default source for
pasting hurts other X environments (not Gnome/KDE), like on Solaris,
Irix, HPUX?

> Interestingly, in the Konsole terminal program, it seems to do an
> automatic copy to CLIPBOARD when you make a selection. Though this is
> ugly, it works with the rest of KDE/Qt3.0.

You mean it provides both PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD? That would then be
equivalent to what Squeak does now with your fix. So we're on the right
track :-)

-- Bert