[Q] Has SharedQueue a very subtle bug?

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 13 04:12:38 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> I have been looking at #size and #isEmpty in SharedQueue. Those two
> methods are not protected by the accessProtect Semaphore. Since I don't
> really know that much about Squeak Process scheduling, my question is:

> Could another Process call #size or #isEmpty when the first Process is
> at the exact point marked below:

If you assume concurrent accesses, which you want to be robust with..
You need to use those when the semaphore is held.. Something like

queue runWithLockAndSize: [ :size | ...... ]           [1]
queue runWithLockIfEmpty: [  ..... ]

And the blocks are not allowed to do any queue operations. (unless we give
squeak the ability to have recursive locks.)

Or allow:

queue runWithLock: [  .... can run various unprotected operations on the
queue, but cannot run any enqueue/dequeue operations on *this* queue .... ]

--

The bug you describe exists, #size and #ifEmpty, as written, is unusable
except as a potentially inaccurate approximation.. (I needed to activate

IE, I needed something like:

queue size > HighWaterMark & self enabled ifTrue: [ disable something]
queue size < LowWaterMark & self disabled ifTrue: [ enable something]

And you can't get an *accurate* size outside the lock on the semaphore.
#peek below just means that we run a risk of an inaccurate and possibly
corrupt size. If #size also got #accessProtect, we'd still have this
inaccuracy...

For example, what should the value of 'a' be after this runs?

``
q Sharedqueue new.
a Array new: 2.

[[ q nextPut: 1 ; next ] repeatForever] fork.
[[ a at: q size put: (a at: q size)+1] repeatForever] fork.

"Now run both of them for a minute."
''

Scott

--
No DVD movie will ever enter the public domain, nor will any CD. The last C=
and the last DVD will have moldered away decades before they leave copyrigh=