[Newbie]Trying to save/restore SqueakLogo

Jean Berger sajack at zayda.net
Sun Apr 14 15:51:32 UTC 2002

Just a newbie stumbling around, trying hard but finally giving up...

Wanted to get rid of the "moving eyes" SqueakLogo thingy, but wanted to be
able to get it back again someday, maybe.
Finally tried the following, with poor results. Tried to browse around,
inspect, explore, etc. but after scratching head for hours and risking
blindness, decided to pester the list to see if I'm hopelessly insane or
stupid, or whether there's a "bug" (nah, couldn't be) keeping me from my
goal.

Tried saving the existing SqueakLogo FlashCharacterMorph as follows:
SqueakLogo -> cmd-click -> halos -> menu -> debug... -> save morph in file
(saved to "my FlashCharacterMorph.morph")

Tried to load it back in (presumably as another copy) like this:
World -> new morph... -> from a file...
(selected "my FlashCharacterMorph.morph")

Got this nice "error window" to which I responded "Abandon."
MessageNotUnderstood: restoreEndianness
(more in the pane below this title, but unsure how to copy it except .gif
file; it's all in the debug log file anyway, though "more detailed."

In other silliness, tried World -> new morph -> ... -> FlashCharacterMorph
Tried this a few times, nothing seemed to happen. Explored world, saw
these "empty" FlashCharacterMorphs, so spent some time cmd-clicking the
desktop until I found each of the invisible devils and deleted them. Not
too much fun, really, but made me wonder how one makes good use of the
"new morph ... FlashCharacterMorph" feature? Or is it an aberration I
should know enough to ignore?

The only thing I really want to do now is offload the logo thing and get
it back again. ;)
---
Mac OS 8.6
VM 3.2.5b8 of 2002-Mar-02 (tried other VMs back to 3.2.1)
Image 3.3alpha, last update 4827

SqueakDebug.log attached

Cheers,
Jean