[BUG] Jpeg reader

Tim Olson tim at jump.net
Sun Apr 14 16:23:39 UTC 2002

>Hi,
>
>When I try to read the JPEG file into Squeak [Squeak 3.2 gamma 4811 -
>Windows version]:
>
>http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/images/MagicDrawDandelion1.jpg
>
>I get a DNU: 'marker 16rC2 cannot be handled'

Marker 16rC2 is Progressive Mode, and JPEGReadWriter only implements the
baseline JPEG mode, not the other modes (progressive, hierarchical).  I
think that JPEGReadWriter2 handles all of these cases.

Reading progressive mode isn't that hard, and shouldn't involve too many
modifications to the existing JPEGReadWriter, if someone wants to try to
put it in.  Unfortunately I don't have much spare time to do it, right
now.  Could be a fun project for someone who is looking to learn a little
more about Squeak and/or JPEG...

     -- tim