[Q] Subclassing. was: Making a button immune...

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Apr 14 18:23:29 UTC 2002

On Sunday 14 April 2002 10:05 am, Sean Charles wrote:
> One idea I had in times past was to add something to the Object
> class to record each time a particular class was the target of the
> 'find class...' action. In a classroom environment you would be
> able to build up a profile of those classes that might benefit from
> being better documented based on most recently visited. It's a
> failed idea for me because now I am familiar enough with it all not
> to be bothered that much anymore!

Having browsers adapt to viewing patterns is already done a little bit
in Squeak.

In the package pane menu of the regular browsers, there is a "recent
classes (r)..." item that shows a list of the most recently visited
classes.

A slight modification to this could tally the most frequently visited
classes: every time you visit a class or browse its methods, we could
increment a counter for that class (as you suggested).

Then the menu could also present "frequently viewed classes".

One thing that probably should be changed is that RecentClasses is
only used by Browser classes; maybe the ChangeSorter should use it as
well.

Perhaps the list could be kept on a per-Project basis; this would give
some locality to your searches.

Or maybe the tallies would gradually decay over time (perhaps
exponentially), so that as you changed what you were working on, the
view would change.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com