[BUG]showBoundsInHalo disables [X] halo

Brian Keefer mgomes21 at cox.net
Mon Apr 15 02:43:15 UTC 2002

Sean Charles wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is a bug...
>
> I'm using 3.2gamma, cs 4811. I notice that when I enable the
> 'showBoundsInHalo' preference I can no longer remove a morph from the screen
> via the [X] halo handle. It was a while before I made the connection as I
> thought I had myself done something stupid as is often the case.
>
> It is a repeatable problem. As soon as I turn off the option, I can remove
> from screen quite happily.
>
> Sean Charles.

Under showBoundsInHalo, dismiss and the color handle also won't take
mouseDown, but collapse (which functions basically the same) does. Also,
I've noticed that the halo is being rebuilt constantly, and (I think) the
morph(+subs?) are being redrawn endlessly. I'm only guessing the redraw
burden from the different framerate hits between seeing the halo for an
itsy morph, and the World's halo.

A simpleminded workaround is to remove HaloMorph>>bounds:. It prevents the
bad side-effects, and seems to continue acting consistently afterwards.

For those too chicken to remove a method (like me), there's a simple 2
keypress change. In HaloMorph>>bounds:, change 1 to 0.

bounds: newBounds
	Preferences showBoundsInHalo
		ifTrue: [super bounds: (newBounds expandBy: 0)] " <- 1 was there"
		ifFalse: [super bounds: newBounds]

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Sigmund Freud
"BOOM!" - ACME exploding novelties advertisment