Spreading Smalltalk

Bob Ingria ingria at world.std.com
Wed Apr 17 04:24:31 UTC 2002

At 12:15 PM 4/16/2002 +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>PS. It's funny to see how the scripting languages get closer and closer
>to Smalltalk. Perl -> Python -> Ruby (which is practically a Smalltalk
>in disguise). Nice trend.

Actually, as someone who's hacked both LISP and Smalltalk, Ruby feels more
LISP-like than Smalltalk-like to me (e.g. things like mixins, and various
other language features).  One caveat, though: I've only been reading about
Ruby and haven't yet had a chance to do any real programming with
Ruby.  But it looks intriguing to me, and pleasing to both my LISP and
Smalltalk engrams.

-30-
Bob Ingria
As always, at a slight angle to the universe