Spreading Smalltalk

stephane ducasse (home) ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 17 06:47:04 UTC 2002

hi all

just to recall that we are trying to help spreading Smalltalk. If you know
Universities and/or students interested by the following program please
urge them to apply.
We do not know if everybody will be elected but showing that there is a
big demand is good. We may attract sponsor and buy more books.

Hi all

ESUG is setting up 3 programs to promote Smalltalk.
  Program 1: Smalltalk in Academy
  Program 2: Cool Smalltalk Code Contest
  Program 3: Smalltalk in Business

please distribute the following announce available at http://www.esug.org/

Program 1: Smalltalk in Academy
ESUG would like to promote the use of Smalltalk in teaching and research
institutions. Smalltalk is a pure object-oriented language that is
mostly written in itself. It has good pedagogical properties. It is used
at the *Open University* for teaching OO.

For this purpose we propose two packages:

Teacher Starter Package

   -  a package containing a relevant selection of Smalltalk books at all
   levels of expertise + 30 CD's containing all the freely or non
   commercial Smalltalks (Squeak, VisualWorks, Gnu Smalltalk, Dolphin,
   Smalltalk/X, Smalltalk/MT) + plus all the freely available
   books + a ready-to-use lecture (400 slides + 100 pages of exercises)

Teacher Immersion Package

   - we offer you to have the possibility to get an intensive lecture for
   any number of students over 3 or 4 days. The Teacher Immersion Package
   includes the Teacher Starter Package

Admissibility conditions.

There no limit of country location to obtain the packages. The only
criteria will be your willingness to learn and/or teach Smalltalk. You
should write to ESUG a small description (max a page) describing your
situation (include any criteria you find relevant) and what your plans
are to promote Smalltalk. The package will be given to the local library
of the university of the person who contacted us, but with the legal
obligation not to do any business such as reselling the books to other
party. Please join the library address to your announcement.
The chosen candidates will be listed on the ESUG site.

Program 2: Cool Smalltalk Code Contest

ESUG would like to offer Smalltalk books to students. We propose to any
worldwide students to participate to the Cool Smalltalk Code Contest.
The principle is the following: you send to the ESUG committee a small
(the quantity is not an issue here) but cool piece of code showing some
interesting aspects of Smalltalk or a small application, then your piece
of code is put freely on the web and every two months we select the one
we prefer.

How will we proceed?

At the end of every two months we will select 6 or 8 of the best
submissions we got and send to their author a book amongst the books we
have in stock.
   *Best Smalltalk Practices
   *Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications
   *Squeak: Open Personal Computing and Multimedia
   *Squeak: A Quick Trip to ObjectLand Smalltalk
   *Design Patterns Companion
   *Smalltalk with Style
   *On to Smalltalk
   *Art and Science of Smalltalk
   *Smalltalk, Object, and Design
   *Dolphin Smalltalk Companion
   *Smalltalk and Object Orientation: An Introduction by John Hunt
   *Squeak Xavier Briffault (French)

The committee has the right to reject code that has been copied or too
simple code. One person can only receive one book during the contest.
When you participate think that there are people who do not have money
to buy book nor have libraries.

Program 3: Smalltalk in Business
ESUG would like to sponsor presentations of Smalltalk inside companies.
ESUG is willing to participate to expense for Smalltalk shows that a
Smalltalk expert performs at a company's site.

If your company is willing to sponsor ESUG for these specific actions, we
can associate its name with such actions.

If you are interested  contact us esug-info at esug.org

--
Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/