O'Reilly Squeak book?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Apr 17 07:38:26 UTC 2002

brucecohen at qwest.net said:
> I wonder if we don't need to narrow the initial pitch a little.

Probably. But then, you risk that the publisher keeps you to it :-).

> Just out of curiousity, what was the topic you were thinking of
> writing about?

I wanted to put Jini/JavaSpaces in context of Linda and Lifestreams. E.g. use
the former as a sort of 'low level language' to implement the latter (one of
the biggest problems Jini has is that it is an assembly-level language w.r.t.
distributed computing). I must say that I haven't really tried *hard* to get a
publisher, but I also did notice that more people were walking around with
great book plans, and all that actually lands on the shelves is the spec,
rehashed.

> Yes, it would be.  The thing I think Squeak is missing is something
> closer to a critical mass of at least semi-knowledgeable and
> interested users.  Right now the population of Squeakers is mostly  a
> little too introverted and cultish (I'm including myself!) to attract
> the larger audience we need for Squeak to make a difference to anyone
> besides ourselves.

Yeah, cool, ain't it? ;-)

But that's why you want to aim at a publisher like O'Reilly, who really tries
to push your book. Not one like the others who pay you, put a single copy on
lots of store shelves, and then forget they ever published the thing. Are
there other publishers like that?

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>