O'Reilly Squeak book?

Bruce Cohen brucecohen at qwest.net
Wed Apr 17 18:10:10 UTC 2002

At 9:38 AM +0200 4/17/02, Cees de Groot wrote:
>  > Yes, it would be.  The thing I think Squeak is missing is something
>>  closer to a critical mass of at least semi-knowledgeable and
>>  interested users.  Right now the population of Squeakers is mostly  a
>>  little too introverted and cultish (I'm including myself!) to attract
>>  the larger audience we need for Squeak to make a difference to anyone
>>  besides ourselves.
>
>Yeah, cool, ain't it? ;-)
>
>But that's why you want to aim at a publisher like O'Reilly, who really tries
>to push your book. Not one like the others who pay you, put a single copy on
>lots of store shelves, and then forget they ever published the thing. Are
>there other publishers like that?

Not that I know of.  The experience of authors I know (my own doesn't
go beyond a couple of phone conversations with publishers) is with
Prentice-Hall and Addison-Wesley, both of whom appear to think their
job is done when the first box of books is packed (shipping the box
doesn't seem to be in the job description).   I wonder about
Springer, because they publish a rather eclectic collection of
titles, from very abstract and abstruse to nuts and bolts, but I
don't know of anyone who has any experience with them.

Bruce

--
"The joke is over when the head falls off." - Scotts' proverb
=========
brucecohen at qwest.net