[OT] LaTeX/TeX (was: Who has not job?)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Apr 18 17:55:54 UTC 2002

Speaking of LaTeX/TeX...I have a question for those familiar with these
tools:

A while back, I wanted to write some documentation, but I wanted that
documentation to be available in a variety of formats, including HTML,
PS, PDF, etc.  I looked at the linux documentation project and they seem
to use a thing called DocBook, which appears to be an SGML (and XML)
grammer for writing documents.

My question is this: What is the best (and preferrably free) tool for
doing such a thing (doesn't have to be DocBook, but I want to write once
and generate the other formats that I need without worrying about
formatting and such)?  The tool doesn't have to be pretty, but it would
be nice if it could display the formatted document as it is being
written.

I tried playing with some tools, but there are lots of them and they all
seemed to complex to grasp in a few minutes...so, I'm just seeking some
guidance from anyone that knows in order to avoid wasting time learning
tools that are not up to the task.

Thanks,
Stephen