Squeak default look

Martin Drautzburg martin.drautzburg at web.de
Thu Apr 18 18:58:01 UTC 2002

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> writes:

> In short, I'm worried that efforts to make the UI consistent and
> good-looking, will lock us into a design before we know what the UI is
> supposed to be doing.    It's a very worthwhile goal, but let's be
> careful not to gold-plate it too early.

I absolutely understand this since my mindset is about the
same.

However there may be people who just see it the other way round. Think
about car designers. They can really design the look of a car (I
believe) without worrying to much about what engine and navigation
system it will get. Still they know a lot about cars, they will not
forget the windshield and the tail lights. Such designer may even say
that one should not put too much effort into the technical side before
we know what the car should look like.I think it is people like these
we need to take care of squeak's look.

The customer will first notice what the car looks like.

Now we maybe should not adopt too much of the car selling
methodology. However the idea of doing this kind of work at a level as
high up as the technical work that has been done, intrigues me.

Martin McClure <martin at hand2mouse.com> writes:

> Another possibility: I'm married to a graphic designer who also does
> work in UI design. She has indicated interest in helping tweak
> Squeak's look'n'feel.

Thats good news.