Squeak 3.2 UNIX

Eric Dorman dormane at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Apr 18 19:25:52 UTC 2002

Cees de Groot wrote:

> Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> said:
>
>>I regularly see 0% usage by idle Squeak servers on Linux, to the
>>precision that "top" reports.
[xx]
> When using ITIMER I get a VM that's way snappier, and much lower on CPU usage.
> AFAICT, the only issue is with profiling, but that's not something the
> majority uses. Therefore, wouldn't be an idea to make this the default (and do
> an autoconf option '--with-profiling' that uses gettimeofday())?

Perhaps it's just me, but I've had trouble setting ITIMER compiling
VMs (3.1a-4164 and 3.2b-something; i'm in the wrong universe to look
right now) on FreeBSD-4.5-STABLE and HPUX11.  What seems to happen is
that the vm seems to stall (0% cpu) when doing i/o and receiving X11
events wakes it up.  Annoying to have to wiggle the mouse to get the
SUnits to run :)  I looked at it some but got waylaid by Work.  Hope to
get back to it next week.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Eric Dorman
SPAWARSYSCEN-SD