Who has no job? (was Re: O'Reilly Squeak book?)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 18 21:42:03 UTC 2002

Bruce Cohen <brucecohen at qwest.net> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> >Yes!  Think you'll need someone being trained as an ecologist? ;)
>
> Why not?  Before I became a software type I trained to be a
> filmmaker, biomedical instrument technician, and later a computer
> hardware engineer.  Some of the best software development engineers
> I've known included a chemical engineer, an architect (buildings, not
> programs), an actor, and a glassblower.
...and I'm an ex-mechanical engineer (motorcycle chassis dynamics &
gas-turbine design) turned industrial designer (logos, furniture,
bathroom fittings, more motorcycles, space shuttle tools) turned user
interface researcher, then Smalltalk weenie for the last 20 or so. I
agree about the best software people - almost none of the really good
ones I've known came through CS degrees and almost all the bad ones did.

I guess if we all band together to make a virtual Squeaker company we
can announce huge financial losses each quarter and make 'Market Place'
on NPR, maybe garnering enough publicity to actually get some work and
thereby not make such big losses?

tim

Useful random insult:- Got a life, but wasn't sure what to do with it.