[OT] LaTeX/TeX (was: Who has not job?)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Apr 19 04:23:57 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at advantive.com> wrote:
	A while back, I wanted to write some documentation, but I wanted that
	documentation to be available in a variety of formats, including HTML,
	PS, PDF, etc.  I looked at the linux documentation project and they seem
	to use a thing called DocBook, which appears to be an SGML (and XML)
	grammer for writing documents.

	My question is this: What is the best (and preferrably free) tool for
	doing such a thing (doesn't have to be DocBook, but I want to write once
	and generate the other formats that I need without worrying about
	formatting and such)?  The tool doesn't have to be pretty, but it would
	be nice if it could display the formatted document as it is being
	written.

The DocBook DTDs (grammars) are available for free download.
If you use the psgmls package, Emacs is a very reasonable editor for
SGML (it becomes structure-sensitive).

If you buy the O'Reilly DocBook book (which is a good idea if you want
to use DocBook, because there's a lot to know about) it comes with a
CD-ROM containing all the tools you need, including the ability to generate
 - .htm files
 - .rtf files
 - .dvi files (from which you can generate PS and PDF).
There's support for UNIX and Windows.