straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Apr 19 06:39:07 UTC 2002

Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> wrote:
	I think you should also seriously consider setting the windows to all
	white, or at least all the same (light pastel) color. For some people
	(myself included), seeing all those differently-colored windows is a total
	turn-off. In my mind, it takes away completely from the content of the
	windows, which is what is important. I think the color indicators for
	different kinds of windows needs to be a lot more subtle, and occupy a very
	small amount of screen real-estate (like maybe an icon/area in the title
	bar or something).

We've been through this before, and I suggested putting the colour on the
corners.  That is, where the window corners are rounded, instead of making
the rest of that rectangular corner transparent, make it the indicator
colour.

Since then I've started using the Tools flap, and find the colours the
most useful cue in finding the right tool there.

	I know there are a lot of people on the list who disagree, but think about
	it this way -- how many applications have you downloaded that have
	discordant color schemes like that?

I'd prefer white for the higher contrast, but I don't find Squeak to be
'discordant'.  I probably should.