Who has no job? (was Re: O'Reilly Squeak book?)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Apr 19 13:06:52 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> said:
>In the current breed of CS majors, it seems to be taking a downward trend.
>Overwhelmingly a bunch of males that want good jobs.  That's not a bad
>thing, per se, but in my inconsequential worldview, it's a pretty sad
>main-factor for how to spend out the rest of your life.  As a result, most
>of them don't do CS too well, because it's not their passion.

Furthermore, a X-years CS 'course' is not enough to make a good programmer.
Most of the really good programmers I know have passions besides programming,
often in the area of art, philosophy, etcetera. It seems that you need to
excercise both hemispheres in order to get somewhere (and with programming
being a sort of balance between science, art and craft that's not strange at
all).

OTOH, I think these obeservations hold for any profession.

AND, I think that if you grow older, the guys just coming out of school
always look dumber then when you were as smart as they are now. I think
Einstein applies here ;-)
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>