straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Apr 19 18:40:25 UTC 2002

On Friday 19 April 2002 11:26 am, Ken Brown wrote:

> However,
> now that I have the cpuWatcher enabled all the time, it somtimes
> comes up with indications it has suspended some process or other
> (nil was one) that does not show up in the list, asks if I want to
> debug at a lower priority, I say yes, nothing happens. This could
> be confusing and disturbing for new users.

Hmm.. I'll have to look at this some time. I'm not entirely happy with
the design of the CPUWatcher, as it keeps making new processes that
tend not to get garbage collected for a while and so clutter up the
ProcessBrowser.

> By the way, what is the easiest way to run through the list of
> active processes, determine which ones are due to my own processes,
> and terminate them. I know how to terminate them if within a method
> that knows about them, but sometimes I get in a state where I have
> to manually go through the Process Browser and terminate the
> leftover ones. Would like to make a button to clean up my orphaned
> processes but do not know how.

You can (as I recall) make a Process subclass that adds a name
instance variable, and start up named processes.

At one time I had support for process names in the ProcessBrowser but
it doesn't seem to be there any more.

Or you could just have your processes added to a global WeakSet when
you make them.

Then you could run through the WeakSet after doing a garbageCollect
and terminate the appropriate processes.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com