Squeak 3.2 UNIX

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Apr 19 21:02:23 UTC 2002

Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> said:
>My Swiki image is doing something like 6k-10k gettimeofday's per
>second, and still shows 0.0% CPU usage.    I got this number by running
>strace on the process for about 10 seconds and then doing "grep -c
>geimeofday log".  If there is a significant overhead from the
>gettimeofday, then it depends on the configuration somehow.  I'm not
>seeing it on my machine.

Ok, I'll dig further. Still: calling 10k gettimeofdays/sec is sort of 'not
neat', and I do feel that the ITIMER image is snappier (does that make
sense?)

>EToy viewers (whatever they are called --
>what you get with the light blue halo handle) will take a good bit of
>CPU as well.

Is that intrinsic? I'm just thinking about kicking my kid's KDE sessions
out and replacing them with Squeak sessions (directly linked to Xvnc -
we run happily together on a single box, Xvnc sessions for the whole
family are started at boot time and all we use 'native' X for is as a
VNC browser/viewer) because all they do is some simple games and fool
around with text (4 and 7 yrs old). If, however, they get into EToys and
open EToys windows sitting in their sessions eat my CPU time...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>