RFD : comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sat Apr 20 01:40:40 UTC 2002

Martin McClure <martin at hand2mouse.com> wrote:
> At 5:38 PM -0400 4/19/02, Swan, Dean wrote:
> >This topic comes up every once-in-a while.  It seems that the
> >consensus always comes up that the mailing list is the preferred
> >format and news groups attract too much spam.  This would be my
> >position as well.  The lists are archived, so those who don't wish
> >to, or are unable to deal with the mail volume can go to the
> >archives.
>
> That's my recollection of previous discussions also: That none of the
> existing discussion forums would benefit from being split, that a
> mailing list was preferred over a newsgroup anyway, and therefore
> that a Squeak newsgroup would be a step *away* from the ideal.

I prefer keeping the mailing list as well. My main argument: I switched
using Celester some weeks ago and I like to stay in the Squeak
environment
when communicating with my Squeak colleagues. The collection of mails
will develop in a offline support database when indexed properly with
tags and
keywords (however full text search is allways possible) and I like the
fact
that I can execute code snippets directly from the mail reader. I
consider this
to be unique (world-wide; or does anybody know of another system which
allows
this?).  Functionally the mailing list plus the archives
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/775
is equivalent to a newsgroup isn't it?

Regards
Hannes

P.S. This assumes that you know how to set up incoming filters in your
preferred mail reader or that you set up a mail account just for
participating on the Squeak list while using Celeste as I do at the
moment.

To sum up:
Main argument against newsgroup:
The mailing list is better integrated in the Squeak developing process.