UI toolkit appeal (was Re: Who has no job? )

yampa at mindspring.com yampa at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 20 02:56:19 UTC 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:54:07 -0700 Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:

Squeak really could do with some of the basic UIelements that people>are used to. That doesn't mean anyone has to use them and only them for
everything in the image but to have them available for doing mundane
apps to show the potential value of using Squeak in a business sense
would be tremendously helpful to those of us wanting to actually
continue on the path of eating regularly. I'm sure that just about all
the capabilities are there, buried in the vast forest of morphic
somewhere, but buggered if I can find them when I want to. Please,
please, could some of you conversant with all the joys of morphic put
together some classes (with logical names please!) that would actually
provide a basic set?
tim

There is already a widget kit called BobsUI, written by Bob Arning, which does some basic business UI programming.  I am in the middle of an enhancement to it, which will provide more widgets many people are asking for.  When I finish it, hopefully early this summer, BobsUI will be more than halfway towards a good business GUI development tool. It is Morphic based, and can co-exist with SqueakToys and other programming styles.