why is Interpreter->pointX not inline?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 21 05:05:13 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at mac.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Tim I think the explicit noinline prevents it from being inlined.
Well, I'm baffled. I was sure that somewhere in the C code generation
all the primitives were removed from the list of inlinable functions but
buggered if I can find anything that would do that in the current image.
Note that virtually no primitives include a 'self inline: false' line,
so something is stopping them being considered for inlining. It can't be
that they are all so big that they an't be inlined, nor that they have
more than one sender. Dunno :-(

Note also that primitivePointY is _only_ called from bytecodePrimpointY
- it's not in the primitive table at all. I can't see any reason why one
shouldn't simply paste the code.

> Question is what's the esoteric reason behind the original coding of
> that request?
History? Typo?

tim
Programmer: One who is too lacking in people skills to be a software engineer.