Changing strings

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sun Apr 21 23:41:14 UTC 2002

At Sunday, 21 April 2002, you wrote:

>returns false, so I guess it may not be a problem very often.
>Nonetheless, I find it disturbing that if a an instance variable is
>initialized using a string literal, and if a user knows what that
string
>literal is, then the user can change the value of that instance
variable
>without an accessor.

No, actually, they can't (at least, not using the technique you're
talking about). The string literal is only the same object within
the context of a single method compilation (or a single "Doit", which
is the same thing).

>Any comments?

Well, as a general Smalltalk practice, I try and avoid destructively
modifying strings whenever possible. Its almost never necessary to
do that...

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com