To be live or not to be live!

Bruce Cohen brucecohen at qwest.net
Mon Apr 22 20:27:11 UTC 2002

At 2:38 PM +0000 4/22/02, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>Each alternative has its advantages. Blueprint systems, due to their
>short lived natures, are more forgiving of mistakes. How many
>applications with memory leaks were shipped in the 1980s and 1990s? It
>wasn't considered a big deal - the user just killed the program and
>called a fresh version of it again. Compare that with Squeak: some bits
>in there are simply cloned versions of what was originally created in
>the 1970s! A memory leak would have been fatal.

One of the reasons the Smalltalk-based oscilloscopes made by
Tektronix were such a successful product was *because* you could be
confident there were no memory leaks.   Electronic instruments like
oscilloscopes are often used in long-running measurements (hours,
days. weeks-long sometimes) where it can be very inconvenient, even
downright disastrous to an experiment to have to restart the
equipment.  So not having to worry about the firmware memory (which
is usually pretty small to start with) filling up and hosing the
scope's sampling controller or user interface is a very important
feature.

I like to think that if it weren't for Ada (and you think Java is
bad!), Smalltalk might have become the common language for avionics
for this reason among others.

--
"The joke is over when the head falls off." - Scotts' proverb
=========
brucecohen at qwest.net