Problem with Socket under Linux...

John M McIntosh johnmci at mac.com
Tue Apr 23 03:29:06 UTC 2002

>  > I don't really now why this code looks like it does but I do wonder why
>>  the unix version notifies the readSemaphore even if the socket is not
>>  "socketReadable".
>
>It probably comes from my misunderstanding of exactly the conditions
>under which the semaphore should be signalled.  (As far as I know,
>nobody ever specified the behaviour of the socket semaphore stuff in
>any kind of rigorous manner -- so I'm basically guessing where to
>signal them.)  If the Unix and win behaviours differ then I happily
>concede that the win version is probably right.

Na.... it comes from the Mac VM.

See http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/OTNotes1.html for an long
detailed explanation of the semaphore states.

For an Sunit test suite try

http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/OTNotes4.html

The ability to run the test suite (which requires changes for host
names) shows the VM implementation of sockets is (I'd guess)
compatible with the mac version.
Failure to run the test suite, means you can write code on the mac
which works, but fails on your platform. Is that a good thing? I
can't answer that question.